- Over a hundred cases are pending from the wave of privacy class actions that commenced last year alleging violations of state wiretap statutes based on use of website session replay, chatbot and pixel technologies.
- Plaintiffs’ firms are continuing to file new cases based on chatbot and pixel tech despite an increasing number of dismissals while also trying new approaches focused on email marketing tech and identity graphing.
Leslie Shanklin is a partner in the Corporate Department, co-head of the Privacy & Cybersecurity Group and a member of the of the Technology, Media & Telecommunications group.
Leslie’s practice focuses on privacy and data security, delivering comprehensive expertise around data-related risk and compliance. Leslie provides pragmatic, strategic and tech-savvy legal counsel to clients seeking to realize the essential value of data to their businesses while effectively managing risk and preserving trust. Leslie draws from deep legal, practical and technical expertise gained from leading global privacy teams and operations for multinational companies.
Leslie’s experience includes advising on the legal and risk aspects of data strategy, building and operationalizing data protection compliance programs in all regions of the world, providing strategic legal counsel around data privacy and security issues in commercial transactions, advising on legal aspects of information security risk, compliance and incident response, and advising on federal, state and international regulatory enforcement actions.
Leslie advises clients with a global lens, helping clients craft nimble, risk-based, forward-looking approaches to data management in the rapidly-evolving US and international privacy and information security legal landscape, including:
- Federal laws such as Section 5 of the FTC Act and FTC rules and guidance, COPPA, VPPA, TCPA, and HIPAA
- State laws such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA including CPRA amendments) and the California Medical Information Act (CMIA), as well as various existing and evolving laws in other US states such as Virginia (VCDPA), Colorado (CPA), Connecticut (CTDPA), Utah (UCPA), Iowa (ICDPA), Tennessee (TIPA), Indiana (ICDPA), Montana (MCDPA) and Washington (My Health My Data Act)
- International law and guidance such as the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the ePrivacy Directive, the UK Data Protection Act, Brazil’s General Data Protection Law (LGPD), and Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
Leslie is a Certified Information Privacy Professional in the United States (CIPP/US) and Europe (CIPP/E) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). She previously served as Co-Chair of the international Hybrid Broadcast Broadband Television (HbbTV) Association Privacy Task Force.
Prior to joining Proskauer, Leslie led global privacy teams for media and entertainment companies for over a decade and most recently served on the Privacy leadership team for Warner Bros. Discovery.