On May 12, 2008 the Federal Trade Commission issued its long awaited final set of rules under the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the “Act”). The rule:
- Modifies the term “sender” with respect to multi-advertiser e-mails;
- Clarifies the opt-out request process;
- Defines the term “person”; and
- Clarifies the meaning of “valid physical postal address” of the sender.
- The accompanying report:
- Explains the FTC’s interpretation of the Act’s application to affiliate marketing programs and tell-a-friend campaigns.
The rule will take effect on July 7, 2008.